20 January, 2017
The Best Turkey Chicken Burger!
It’s the New Year and with that comes pledges of New Year’s Resolutions. Some and I would say most of them are about health. “I want to lose a few pounds”, get in shape, etc.!
Many of the recipes you see on this site will be health conscious and flavorful although some will have to be comfort food with a healthy side to it (mostly)!
Last night was no different with a healthy burger recipe that is both delicious and juicy! If you have ever had a turkey or chicken burger that is dry you will want to try this recipe. I used to add egg, ricotta and other cheeses and even heavy cream to make sure the burger comes out juicy but this version is the ultimate when it comes to turkey burgers!
Here’s what you will need
- 1 lb of Dark ground turkey
- 1 lb Italian chicken sausage (I used whole foods bulk sausage from the case, but you could use links and take the sausage out of the casing)
- 1/4 Cup of Culinary coconut milk
- 1/4 Cup of plan bread crumbs (use certified gluten free if needed, I did)
- 1 TBS of granulated Garlic and onion mix
- 1 TBS fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 6 buns of choice (use certified gluten free if needed, Pictured is a 9 grain roll from whole foods)
Preheat oven to 400
In a large bowl mix all ingredients until thoroughly mix. Before portioning, fry a small amount of meat to check to see if it has enough salt and adjust accordingly.
Portion into 6 patties onto a plate or cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Heat a heavy bottom skillet such as cast iron to medium to medium high heat. Add a TBS of olive oil to pan and add three burger patties and brown nicely on each side. place on cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment paper that is coated with cooking spray. Once all patties are browned place sheet in the oven and cook patties until they read 170 degrees on a digital thermometer. About 8-10 minutes (this is the key to juicy burgers, over-cooking with produce a dry burger.
Take tray out of oven and let burgers to rest for 5 minutes before eating. Use your favorite condiments. The list is what ever you want! On the one pictured is simple lettuce, tomato, avocado and a spicy dijonnaise. Serve with your favorite fries. I did some nice sweet potato wedges that I tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper and a little maple sugar! Enjoy!