Hopefully you were able to see my last recipe “Pizza Dough” which is a great tasting dough recipe with lots of flavor without all the sodium and to match that up here is my homemade pizza sauce recipe you will be sure to like! This recipe makes 4 cups and I placed in 4 cups to freeze. I take one out when making pizza. 1 cup should be enough for 2 – 12 inch pizza’s or 4 individual pizzas
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1-28oz can chopped Italian tomatoes
- 1/2 C Tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 medium sweet onion medium dice
- 2 small cloves garlic sliced or 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 TBSP chopped fresh basil
- 2 TBSP olive oil
In a medium sized sauce pan add the olive oil and heat over medium heat and then add the onion and red pepper flake. Sauté until translucent (a little see through)
Next add the herbs and salt
Next add the tomato paste and cook for a minute or two until incorporated with the onions
Next add the tomatoes with juice and chopped basil.
Let simmer for 5 minutes then either in a blender or using a hand mixer like seen below blend until smooth.
Taste for seasoning and add salt if you need but to keep the sodium level low leave as is in the recipe. Believe me you won’t need it. Makes 4 cups. I use 1/2 cup for a 12 inch pizza.
Use the pizza dough recipe and add your favorite toppings for a delicious pizza I baked mine at 475-500 degrees on a holed pizza tray for 12 to 14 minutes until it comes out like this! Enjoy!
Full Pizza recipe as seen in the featured picture
- 1 – pizza dough (click to see recipe) Makes 2 12-14 inch pizza’s (you can freeze half for later)
- 1/2 C pizza sauce (follow recipe above)
- 1 C mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 C shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Large sweet onion cut in half then sliced into 1/8 inch slices
- 1 Large red sweet bell pepper sliced into 1/8 inch slices
- 3-4 slices of prosciutto cut into sliced 1 inch wide
- 1 TBSP chopped chives
In a large sauté pan coated with 2 TBSP olive oil sauté the onions and peppers with a pinch of salt until caramelized (browned nicely) and set aside
On a large clean surface roll out half the dough recipe or hand toss if so talented. Move rolled out dough to a holed pizza pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Top with sauce, mozzarella cheese then top with the onion pepper mix and prosciutto. Top with the parmesan cheese and brush a little olive oil around the outside of the crust.
Bake in a preheated oven 475° for 12 to 14 minutes until the crust is golden and crispy on the bottom.
Slice into 8 slices and enjoy!